This article is part of a series I’m doing to give you an over the shoulder view of how to earn passive income from original music step by step. If you want a quick intro to each step, click here to read the overview article.
The amount of information available on music publishing is overwhelming, and if you’re looking to publish your own music most of it’s unnecessary. All you need to know is where to do it, what it will cost, and how much time it will take to do it. There are dozens (hundreds?) of companies (bmi, ascap, sesac, etc.) that do this type of thing, and I thought publishing music was a LOT more complicated and than it actually is.
The entire process takes 10 – 20 minutes and only cost about $10.
But more on that in the video.
If you’ve never used TuneCore to publish your own music before, watch the video at the top of this page or by clicking the link below:
If you’re too lazy to watch the video, here are the steps it takes you through:
- Go to TuneCore.com and create a free account. All you need is an email and a password (00:07).
- Log into your TuneCore account and click on “Add Single” (00:23).
- Enter info about your song – title, artist name, release date, etc.. (00:26).
- Click “Create My Single” (01:25).
- After your single is created, click “Upload Or Create Artwork” (01:34).
- Click “Upload a new file” to add your artwork (01:43).
- When your file is uploaded click “Save & Return” (01:50).
- Next, click the “Add Stores” button (02:07).
- Click “Deliver to all current digital stores” – iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, etc.. (02:25).
- Click “Save” to finalize your store selection and return to the main page (02:47).
- Click the “Upload” button and upload the song you want to publish (03:09).
- Select your subscription plan, click “Add to Cart”, “Go to checkout” and then “Proceed to checkout” (03:33-03:45).
- Add your payment method – PayPal or Credit Card (04:10).
- Click “Pay Now” (04:23).
…And that’s it.
If you’re like me, and didn’t realize how easy it is to publish your own songs, well, now you know. So wave good bye to the excuses.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas or feedback, feel free to leave ’em in the comments below.
Rock on and prosper.