Rick Barker loves developing artists and watching them grow. A skill that served him well managing Taylor Swift’s career in the early days of Big Machine Records. Rick talks about growing up poor and stepping down as Taylor’s manager just as he was about to make more money than he ever had.
Rick shares his story, explains why he does what he does and the path that took him there. From strippers to cocaine, spandex to radio; promoting local music, managing Taylor Swift and creating The Music Industry Blueprint–Rick Barker is here to offer guidance to any artist wise enough to listen.
In this episode, you’ll learn
- The importance of being fearless.
- Why desiring to learn is essential to success.
- How to meet 500,000 people and turn them into fans–without leaving your hometown.
- Why it’s harder to keep a record deal than it is to get one.
- How independent artists are making $185,000 per year without a booking agent, label, manager or a song on the radio.
- The difference between artist management and artist development.
- Why the key to success is to focus on adding value.
- How Taylor Swift got a leg up over Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert.
- Why solving people’s problems will guarantee that you never run out of work.
- Why “I need to be willing to do the work that no one else is willing to do” should be your mantra.
- Learn what a music marketing funnel is and how it can help you give away your music and earn waay more money.
- The only two things that nobody can take away from you.
- Why it’s the best time to be in the music business and how to take advantage of it.
- When to start pursuing a label and a manager, why most of us aren’t ready and how to change that!
How Rick Barker Can Join Your Team
- The Music Industry Blueprint (Rick’s Premium Course)
- Social Media For Music (Rick’s Course on Social Media)
- Rick’s Official Website (www.rickbarker.com)
- How to Work One on One With Rick (Application)
- 30 Day Music Marketing Challenge (Includes daily steps to take on each social media platform)
- $150,000 Music Degree ([Download] Rick’s FREE eBook)
- The Musician’s Theme (WordPress)
- Scott Borchetta (Founder of Big Machine Records)
- Big Machine Records
- Jeb Heart (The Guest of MMP012)
- TuneCore (Music Distribution)
- CD-Baby (Music Distribution)
- Sound Exchange (Digital Royalties)
- BMI (Publish Songs)
- Harry Fox (License Songs)
Right-click HERE and “save-as” to download this episode to your desktop
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Musician Monster Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and always appreciated!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
And finally, a big thank you to Rick for coming on the show. Until next time…
Rock on and prosper!
Is there a musician or music industry figure that you’d like me to interview? Send an email to [email protected] or a tweet to @musicianmonster and give me the name and contact info (if you have it). I will reach out to them and let you know what they say.